SIP Trunks – a cost-effective alternative to ISDN phone lines that provides flexibility and continuity. Thanks to their numerous benefits they are proving so popular that BT plan to switch off the traditional ISDN network by 2025; now really is the time to start your easy migration and enjoy the benefits.
questConnect IP DirectConnect is the UK’s market-leading SIP Trunking solution, connecting your onsite or hosted VoIP telephony solution directly into Gamma Telecom’s Voice network via an Internet connection to carry and terminate your inbound and outbound voice calls across the public telephone network.
In partnership with Gamma Telecom, Quest can now provide SIP Trunks with fraud protection against the growing threat of phone hacking fraud, as standard! This provides ultimate protection against phone system hacking and surprise fraudulent bills, which cost UK businesses millions of pounds a year, with the average cost per incident around £10,000.
SIP trunks are a cost effective alternative to ISDN that gives your business flexibility and business continuity. They provide the “lines” needed to make telephone calls when used with a VoIP-enabled (Voice-over-IP) telephone system, and avoid the need for expensive ISDN2e and ISDN30e line rental. No businesses should really consider the installation of new ISDN services considering its life span is already limited.
IP DirectConnect SIP trunking provides a highly flexible alternative to ISDN solutions and is designed to work successfully with all the leading IP PBX brands in the UK market, giving you peace of mind in knowing that your PBX hardware (telephone system) works with the network services.
Compared to ISDN, IP DirectConnect SIP trunking is cheaper on a per channel basis, more flexible in terms of what telephone numbers you can have and where you can have them, is quicker to install and offers a very robust business continuity service that ensures your business never loses calls.
SIP Trunks are suitable for any size of business from small businesses to large enterprises and government organisations that currently have a PBX, Unified Communications solution, or key system. Here are some typical examples of how IP DirectConnect SIP Trunks are being used;
- Businesses looking to move premises out of the local area who want to keep their business critical number without paying for expensive call forwarding type service. In the VoIP world you businesses telephone number is no longer tied to the BT Local Exchange.
- Companies looking to have disaster recovery measures in place to provide a resilient phone service to cope with any emergency. The utilisation of VoIP is an intrinsic element of telecommunications DR.
- International businesses linking offices and taking advantage of free internal calls from one office to another, even where the internal calls cross international boundaries.
- Customer service driven businesses where a local presence is important across the UK and multiple UK numbers can be delivered into one single service centre.
- Multi-site organisations that are looking to aggregate individual site phone systems and lines into a resilient centralised solution.
- Businesses with seasonal voice capacity requirements– where, for example, more lines for a sales campaign can be quickly and easily implemented with no long term commitments.
- Phone number flexibility: IP DirectConnect SIP trunking allows you to move office and keep your same geographic number without any ongoing call forwarding costs and costs associated with new company stationery.
Business continuity: if your office has to be temporarily relocated in an emergency, this can quickly and cost effectively be achieved with SIP Trunking.
Line rationalisation: for businesses with multiple sites, SIP Trunking provides ISDN line rationalisation options and reduces the number of PBXs you need to maintain –
all with full control of the numbers associated with your business.
- Save money: IP connectivity costs less than ISDN with lower call costs, free internal calls between extensions and offices (including international calls) and lower line rental costs for multi sites. Also, no expensive call-forwarding costs are required should you relocate or need to divert calls in the event of a disaster.
Resilience: a phone service that will cope with any situation and give you 100% up time on your telephony. Whether you need to keep your business running without expensive
call forwarding costs in a disaster or emergency or you need to load balance your calls between sites during peak hours, SIP Trunking delivers.
Using IP DirectConnect SIP Trunks, your PBX can be located either at your company site or Cloud-hosted within a managed colocation centre, where you do not need to be concerned about space, power or support engineers to look after your PBX. Either scenario is possible, and for added resilience and flexibility you may wish to use a combination of both support models.
Using IP DirectConnect you can reduce the number of ISDN connections that your business requires and also reduce the maintenance costs on all of your various PBXs. At the remote sites you are left with just the cost of an IP connection and the handsets that you need and you can then pull all the telephony traffic back into a centralised PBX, whether this is in one office or Cloud-hosted. Added to this you are also increasing your resilience because you can build into your communications strategy for lines and calls an automatic fail over system should your main site go down. With SIP Trunks you can instantly centralise and distribute the calls somewhere else, to another site or to home workers for example.
Number flexibility with SIP Trunks means that you can keep your existing number, even when moving out of the area, saving you costs on printed company literature and stationery whilst maintaining the perception that you still have a presence in the area you’ve moved from. Easily transfer your old or existing numbers to IP DirectConnect SIP Trunks so that you can avoid expensive Remote Call Forwarding (RCF) or call diversion charges.
Say your London branch has to close in an emergency, and you need the calls routed to Manchester immediately, IP DirectConnect can do this at no extra charge. There are no call forwarding costs for each inbound call and set up at your new location is quick and easy.
By having two PBXs, each at a separate site and each with its own connection, you will always have service availability. Should one site go down, your inbound and outbound calls can automatically be rerouted to the second site in an instant and without any prohibitive call forwarding charges. With this set up, you can also share the load on inbound calls to two or more sites. You may choose to have your second PBX off-site at a colocation centre (or Cloud-hosted) thereby avoiding the full cost of a second PBX. Alternatively you may wish to use your existing ISDN line as a back up.
For absolute resilience, when combined with Gamma’s Inbound services, IP DirectConnect SIP Trunks can be used to provide a solution with guaranteed 100% uptime. In the unlikely event that all of your SIP Trunking services are unavailable, you can still instantly re-route your inbound calls to any destination by redirecting calls to your number of choice through a secure online portal.
How does IP DirectConnect SIP trunking work?
IP DirectConnect connects your PBX to Gamma’s network enabling full PSTN breakout on the public telephone network. Connection from your site(s) to Gamma’s network is via an IP connection, for example broadband or Ethernet, and is delivered as an end-to-end service with an availability guarantee, voice channel guarantees, and voice quality of service assurances.
IP DirectConnect has been conformance tested with all of the UK’s IP PBX manufacturers. Here are just some of the IP PBX vendors and SIP Gateway vendors we work with: